Description
Guided tour as part of the European Heritage Days 2026.
The Old Presbytery dates back to at least the 15th century, and many rectors have served there over the years. Requisitioned during the Revolution in 1792, it was transformed into a barracks, assigned to a Republican garrison, and burned down by the Chouans (probably in 1796). The main building was completely destroyed by this fire (unlike the outbuildings, which survived). It was rebuilt in the classical style of the period starting in 1801 by Rector René Gabriel, who had returned from exile. It is typical of the country and aristocratic residences of Old France. With the 1905 law separating Church and State, the presbytery became the property of the municipality. The priests nevertheless remained there until 1921 (the presbytery has since been located opposite the church). The municipality sold the Old Rectory in 1977. It was completely restored and has remained in the same family ever since. Guided tour of the courtyard given by the owner.
